• 22-23 July 2016
  • Wrocław, Between Bridges

Sekt

Sparkling wine with growing popularity, produced by our Western neighbours. It is called Sekt in Germany and is produced, in 95%, via the Charmat Method. The remaining 5% is the Premium shelf and here, the second fermentation takes place in the bottle.

In Germany, the same grape varieties are used for production of sparkling wines as for production of still wines: Riesling, Chardonnay, Silvaner, Grauburgunder or Spätburgunder. Restrictions regarding production of sparkling wines in Germany are not too rigorous; they are mainly limited to the stipulation that quality wine should be produced in one of thirteen wine-making regions.

Sekt wines can differ a lot with respect to the method of production, the grape variety that is used and the region; they can be light, fresh and aromatic, as well as rich and full with bread and yeast aromas. They combine greatly with light local German cuisine and, interestingly enough, match numerous Polish dishes very well.